Total time: 28 minutes
Potatoes and Chicken
3 small red potatoes
11/2 cups (375 mL) water
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4-6 oz/125-175 g each)
2 tsp (10 mL) Rosemary Herb Seasoning Mix, divided
2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil, divided
1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped artichoke hearts (about 2 hearts)
2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh parsley
1 oz (30 g) Parmesan cheese, divided
2 tsp (10 mL) mayonnaise
1. Preheat broiler on HIGH. Meanwhile, cut potatoes into quarters. Place potatoes, water and salt into Small Micro-Cooker®; microwave on HIGH 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, for artichoke topping, chop artichokes and parsley using Santoku Knife; place into Small Batter Bowl. Grate cheese using Microplane® Adjustable Grater. Set aside 2 tbsp (30 mL) for later use; add remaining cheese and mayonnaise to artichoke mixture and mix well.
3. Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. (1 cm) thickness using flat side of Meat Tenderizer. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with 1 tsp (5 mL) of the seasoning mix.
4. Add 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oil to Stainless (10-in./25-cm) Skillet (do not use nonstick cookware); heat over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Meanwhile, add remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oil and remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) of the seasoning mix to potatoes; stir to coat.
5. Place chicken and potatoes, cut side down, into Skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes or until chicken is golden brown. Turn chicken and potatoes over; cook an additional 3-4 minutes or until chicken is golden brown and centers are no longer pink.
6. Remove potatoes from Skillet; set aside and keep warm. To finish chicken, spread artichoke topping evenly over chicken; sprinkle with reserved cheese. Place Skillet as close as possible to heating element (2 in./5 cm); broil 4-6 minutes or until topping is deep golden brown and internal temperature of chicken registers 170ºF (77ºC). (Watch closely. If topping starts to brown unevenly, adjust accordingly.) Carefully remove Skillet from broiler. Serve chicken with potatoes.
Yield: 2 servings
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 320, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 80 mg, Carbohydrate 21 g, Protein 34 g, Sodium 1280 mg, Fiber 3 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving: 11/2 starch, 4 low-fat meat, 1 fat (11/2 carb)
Chef’s Corner: Stainless cookware is excellent for its ability to withstand high heat. Topping each chicken breast with Parmesan cheese and placing them under the broiler results in a delicious and attractive-looking crust.
Placing the potatoes cut side down in the Skillet allows them to brown. When turning over the chicken breasts, turn the potatoes to their other cut side using Chef’s Tongs to ensure even browning.
1 tbsp (5 mL) crushed dried rosemary leaves, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) coarsely ground black pepper can be substituted for the Rosemary Herb Seasoning Mix, if desired.